Here is a lower GI version of a favourite of mine – Pecan Pie. Before I properly committed to being gluten-free and low GI, I used to LOVE getting the pastry versions of this from the supermarket bakery bit as a Saturday treat. However, this version is wheat-free, dairy-free and sugar-free (but uses maple syrup to sweeten both the topping and the base).
NOTE – You can reduce the amount of sweetness even further (and I think it still tastes great!), but its really a matter of preference. If you’re new to low GI you might find it takes a while to re-educate your taste buds not to expect so much sugar in things … but it is WELL worth making the effort to do this.
50g sesame flour
100g brown rice flour
60ml (4 tbsp) melted coconut oil
30 ml (2 tbsp) sunflower oil
30ml (2tbsp) maple syrup
small pinch of salt
120g chopped pecans
100ml maple syrup
50ml coconut oil
1 tbsp ground almonds
1/2 tsp arrowroot (or corn-flour) to thicken
30ml (2 tbsp) coconut milk (or whatever kind of milk you want)
Himalayan pink salt
For the Shortbread base
- Pre-heat the oven to 180’C/ 350’F and line an 8×8 inch square tin with baking parchment.
- Mix all the ingredients in a medium sized bowl
- Press the mixture into the bottom of the tin and bake for approximately 15 minutes (it should be just beginning to turn brown). Set aside to cool.
For the topping
- Heat the coconut oil and maple syrup in a small saucepan, stirring frequently. Simmer the mixture for approx. 5 minutes while whisking frequently. (The coconut oil and maple syrup won’t mix well until you add the rest of the ingredients in the next stage).
- Remove from the heat and cool to room temperature.
- Dry roast the pecan nuts in a small pan on a medium heat for about 5 – 8 minutes or until they begin to turn brown. Remove from heat and sprinkle with Himalayan pink salt.
- Mix together the ground almonds, arrowroot and coconut milk in a small bowl and leave to sit for a few minutes.
- Whisk the nut milk mixture into the (cool) maple/oil mixture until smooth.
- Add the chopped pecans and mix again. Pour the topping onto the cooled shortbread base and distribute evenly.
- Bake at 180’C/ 350’F for 20 minutes (the filling should be beginning to set). Remove from oven and cool.
- Chill in the fridge before cutting into squares and enjoying!